Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

Road 2 California

It is that time of year again - time to enjoy one of the largest quilt shows in the nation.  And luckily for me it is only about a 45 minute drive from my house.  Yes I am talking about the Road 2 California Quilt Show which is held every year in Ontario, California.

Yesterday I took the drive to Ontario by myself, and what a beautiful day it turned out to be.  The weather couldn't have been more perfect and the drive was uneventful (which if you drive California freeways is a feat unto itself).  I found parking quite easily, but at a cost of $9.00 (ouch).  It was all very well organized - parking and ticket buying.  The cost of admission is $15.00 but that is for an unlimited access wristband so I can go back all 4 days if I want to (oh no...I am tempted to return lol).  Once I got inside, I was blown away by the sheer size of this show.  I have been in years past, but somehow I don't remember it being this huge.  There were vendors and displays everywhere.  And opening day was crowded.  I made the mistake of doing what everyone else does - starting at the far left aisle and meandering my way up and down the aisles in the main pavilion.  Let's just say I know how it feels when a salmon has to swim upstream lol.
Salmon
Next time I will come up with a better game plan, like starting in the middle.  Anyway, I digress.....there were so many beautiful quilts to see.  It just amazes me how much talent was at the show.  I saw things I have never seen before and loved everyone's creativity.  As for the vendors, there were a lot of good stalls.  Some of my favorites being Cotton & Chocolate Quilt Company from Thousand Oaks, Quilter's Coop from Temecula and My Red Door Designs, an online store and quilt show vendor.  Unfortunately, I never did find one of my all time favorite vendors - African Folklore Embroidery.  I met Leora (the owner) a few years back at another quilt show and she has beautiful products.  I was so looking forward to visiting her booth to see what new stuff she had, so that might be another reason to take a drive back down there for another go around lol.  I've completed a few of Leora's kits and they are so much fun to work on.  Please visit her site and check out what she has to offer.
My friend Jeanne and I at the African Folklore Embroidery booth at another show.
I'm holding a teapot I embroidered.

So did I buy anything?  Well of course, you can't go to a quilt show and not buy anything - that is impossible.  I bought some pretty fabrics that spoke to me, a handy dandy tool called a Quilter's Slidelock (amazing), a gorgeous tablerunner kit made with hexagons and some odds and ends like pins, pens and spray starch.
Lovelies I had to have
All in all it was a wonderful day.  If you live in Southern California, this show is definitely worth the drive in any direction.  I am extremely tempted to return within the next couple of days because I feel like I didn't see it all, and there are a couple of items I wish I had purchased that are still calling my name.  I am hoping that my daughter and her friend want to to go see the show and I will return with them.  If I don;t get to go back this weekend, I am going again next year with my game plan all marked out lol.  Have a great weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment