Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

My First Apron

Well I completed my embroidered bird and decided to turn it into an apron.  I have never made an apron before, so after studying some apron making videos on You Tube, I thought "what the heck, I can do this" and got busy making my first apron.  It's not perfect, and I made a ton of mistakes, but you live and you learn.

Lesson # 1 was that I really shouldn't try to make things out of my head lol.  I should have followed a pattern, but I decided to just wing it and make it up as I went along.  I think I do better when I have a pattern to follow though.

So here is the bird and the teacup, finished in all its glory.  I was going to use beads for the center of the flowers, but remembered I had bought some pretty colored sequins for a card project, so I decided to use them in the center instead.  I love the way the light catches the sequins, and it brings the embroidery to life.



Picking out the fabric and colors for the apron was easy.  I used a beautiful pink floral fabric by Cath Kidston for the main focus, and some green polka dot fabric for the co-ordinating edging.  I also decided to try my hand at using bias tape - another first for me, and I chose a bright green that went well with everything else I had chosen.


Adding the bias tape wasn't too difficult.  I think I might have needed to loosen up the bias tape a little as I rounded the corners of the apron, it felt a little tight.  I guess that will be Lesson # 2 for me..lol.  I am thinking about making some hot pads and finishing them with bias tape, so that will be a smaller projects for me to work on and I will get used to using the bias tape.


Lesson # 3 was a difficult one for me.  It had to do with the pocket.  When I embroidered the bird and teapot onto the fabric, I used a backing to give it more support.  When I wanted to turn the embroidered piece into a pocket on the apron, I didn't want you to be able to see the stitches on the inside of the pocket, so I gave it another backing so it would look nicely finished.  Well adding on the bias tape along the top wasn't bad, but attaching the pocket to the apron was a nightmare lol.  Because of all the thickness from the layers in the pocket and the bias tape, it was hard to turn in the seams and sew through them all.  I fussed with it a bunch, unpicked and cursed a lot, but finally managed to get it attached.  Lesson # 3 learned and duly noted - do not use so many layers hahaha.


Lesson # 4 is that I need to learn how to take professional photos when shooting photos of my work.  I wasn't quite sure how to photograph the apron so you can see it properly.  So here is the best shot of my apron that I could come up with for now.  


Overall I can't complain too much about my first attempt at an apron.  I know there are several mistakes and I have learned from them, and hope to put my knowledge to good use if I ever decide to make another apron lol.

I am already working on something new, which I will be sharing with you shortly.  So tune back in soon for more updates.  I will also have more info about my new Etsy shop I will be opening, where I will be making and selling handmade goods.  I will also be making some new christmas cards sometime in the near future so I will be adding those to my card shop.
Have a great week everyone - adios for now :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment